Monday, August 18, 2008

Summer Road Trip - Day 6 & 7

Sunday was our last day in Chicago and we were going to make the most of it.

Rigby's allergies started acting up and he had a nice little cough. Luckily we had his medicine with us. As Erik got it out and was preparing it, the kids were on the couch watching TV. All of a sudden, Lucy started coughing. We turned to look at Lucy and she had her hand over her mouth preparing a great acting job. We all started to chuckle, but Lucy kept going. Rigby exclaimed that Lucy was tricking us. We all knew it, but Lucy was trying so hard to convince us - she wanted to be just like brother. It was a great moment.

After packing up the car, we checked out of the hotel and went into the city. We parked in South Chicago and rode the orange line train to the Loop. We emerged at the base of the Sears Tower, the tallest building in the US and in the Top 5 in the world depending on what is measured (occupied floor or to the top of antennas), although about 5 other buildings are being constructed in India, China, South Korea and the Chicago Spire that will kick the Sears Tower out of the Top 10.

The view from the 103rd floor is still awesome. We took a minute elevator ride to the top. It was a clear sunny day and we made a trip to each side of the building studying the scenery below and beyond. Rigby was amazed and played “I Spy” on the streets below with Stacy.

The restrooms on the 103rd floor sky deck, 1,353 feet above street level are the highest in the world. We made sure to leave our mark.

After a good time in the Sears Tower, we made our way over to the Magnificent Mile, shopping and eating mecca.

We went to the Original Uno Pizzeria and enjoyed a mid-afternoon lunch of tasty deep-dish pepperoni pizza.

Later, we did a little shopping at the Lego Store, Lucky Brand, Hello Kitty and Sephora. We loaded up on some Lego gifts and Lucy got a purse at Hello Kitty.

So that was it, we took the train back to our car and left the city heading for home. We drove through Indianapolis and into Greensburg, Indiana, where we stayed at a brand new Hampton Inn and Suites for the night. Greensburg is home to a new Honda auto manufacturing plant. We stayed in town all of about 9 hours, most of that sleeping.

On Monday, we drove a little out of our way and went to I-75 and made about an hour stop in Cincinnati for some Busken cookies and some new Xavier Musketeers gear.

We had a great trip. It was fun enough for Rigby that he declared he was okay with moving to Chicago if we had to.

We got back by 5 p.m., just in time to get to Rigby's school for a kindergarten parents meeting.
Post a Comment